Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Decorating With My Treasures

For months I had a general idea of how I wanted to revamp my Christmas decorations this year. Well, life kind of got in the way due to personal obligations and opening my space at Old South in mid-October. But I had already bought some glitzy, new mercury glass type ornaments at 40% off back when most people weren't even thinking about Halloween yet. I had planned a mostly silver and off-white color theme with a little burlap thrown in for good measure. Except for the ornaments I had already bought, my decorating scheme got thrown way off. That was due, in part, to the decorations I scored that I shared with you here. Those treasures altered my mantel ideas and the new mantel plan changed a lot of my other plans, too. I'll share my mantel with you on a later post. But, as promised, I'm showing you a few of the ways I used my other thrift store finds. I took these pretty little ornaments


and just displayed them in a simple square glass container.


I have so many of these beautiful vintage style ornaments!

 
I just filled up a variety of containers with the ornaments.
 
                         
This large metal lantern was the reason I was looking for old ornaments in the first place.  It took a lot of ornaments to fill it up!
 
 


 



I love cloches for displays and the base of this tiny glass cloche was covered with green moss before placing a few of the smaller ornaments inside.



 
 
The silver star tree topper fit into the scheme of one of my trees just perfectly!
 
 I only had a few of these beautiful glass hearts but I love how they look on my mercury glass and gold tree.
 
 
 And the beautiful glass ornament with the angel inside found a perfect home in my kitchen on my antique scale.  A few sprigs of boxwood from my yard and a few floral berries were all it took to finish the look.




 
The brass horn swag was looking pretty hopeless in this before picture
 

but a little fluffing up was all it needed before displaying it on the edge of a large picture frame.

 
This items in this vignette didn't come from the big thrift store find I shared with you earlier, but everything except the star did come from thrift stores.  The tin angel candle holder was only $.50, the faux mercury glass candle holder was $1.00 and the silverplate tray was also a dollar. 
 
 
But the big find was the hand crocheted and starched snowflakes that I found back during the summer.  There are sixty snowflakes that were on "half-price" for only $4.00! 
 
These vintage bulbs sitting on vintage books is one of my very favorite decorations.  I think it may be because the bulbs are the kind we had on my Christmas tree when I was growing up.  And all of the items were thrift store finds.  The container and bulbs came to a grand total of $2.00!
 
 
I'll show you what I did with some of the other thrift shop treasures on my next post.   After I finish shopping and wrapping gifts, planning menus, buying groceries, cooking, etc.  Well, I'm sure you know all about that!  And I can't forget restocking and fluffing my space at Old South.  See ya again soon!


Linking to:
 
 

2 comments: