Monday, May 27, 2013

Using Glaze to Tone Down Bright Colors

I've said before how I usually wait awhile for a piece of furniture to "speak to me" about how I should paint it.  And this one was no different.  What was different is that this little nightstand told me right away what to do!
 
The nightstand was white and plain except for the bamboo look legs and a bamboo look trim above the top of the top drawer and below the bottom drawer.  And the hardware, which wasn't looking too good,  was also made to look like bamboo.

 
The bamboo was telling me tropical but I didn't want to paint it palm tree colors of brown and green.  But I did want to make it beachy looking (that's what it had told me it wanted to be!). Soooo, I painted on a couple of coats of CeCe Caldwell's Paint in Seattle Mist.  I love this color! 

 
But the twist to make it look beachy was to paint the drawers Maine Harbor Blue.

 
The blue was a little too bright for the look I had in mind so I coated the drawer fronts with CeCe Caldwell's Satin Finish.  When that had dried, I brushed on a coat of a glaze made from CeCe Caldwell's Clear Glaze with a little Seattle Mist paint added to it (sorry I didn't take a pic).  That toned the blue down to just the right shade. After the Glaze had dried, I applied another coat of Satin Finish.  I also painted the hardware with CeCe Caldwell's Simply White and when it had dried, I applied Clear wax then buffed when dry. 
 
 
After applying CeCe Caldwell's Clear Wax to the nightstand and over the dry Satin Finish on the drawer fronts, I buffed when dry.   The nightstand was then ready for my booth at Old South Antique Mall.  After I added a few nautical accessories, it sold to a lady looking for a nightstand for her lighthouse themed guest room.

 
Another cute little transformation complete and off to its new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment