Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sweet Little Graphite Nightstand

I found this adorable little nightstand at a garage sale and immediately fell in love with it.  It's at least half the size of today's nightstands (I think this one is vintage 1940s or 1950s from days when bedrooms were a lot smaller).  


Although the wood was in good condition, the original varnished finish wasn't, as over the years it had become dry and cracked in some areas.


With chalk paint, sanding and other preparation usually isn't necessary.  But in this case, I knew I was going to have to sand a little to get the smooth finish I wanted.  So, I used my electric hand sander to smooth out the rough spots before applying two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite.


 I knew I wanted to do something to make this little nightstand special so I painted the drawer with two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  After it dried completely, I stenciled a design on the drawer by stippling on paint in Graphite.

 Annie Sloan clear soft wax was brushed on and the excess was wiped off.  Buffing brought the finish to a nice sheen.

This night stand is now at my space at Old South.


Linked to:
shabby creek cottage



3 comments:

  1. What a cute little transformation! I love using stencils! They're my new favorite "tool"! ;)
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Allison! They're a great, easy way to add a little punch to a project.

      Delete
  2. I love this! You are so talented!! I have a little nightstand much like this and you have me inspired to now paint it in graphite.

    ReplyDelete