Friday, November 2, 2012

A Budget Fall Mantel

This is my simple Fall mantel which was put together without spending a lot of money.



I already owned the clock face, candlesticks, jug and mirror.  To accessorize, I added a ready-made mini wreath purchased from Target that was hung over the mirror with a small piece of twin.  Twigs from my backyard were placed in the jug.  I had purchased the paper mache' pears from Michael's months ago knowing I'd use them one day.  They were a dull, unfinished brown that looked like grocery bag paper.  I brushed on varnish to seal them and give them a nice, warm color and then placed them on a little tray I found at a thrift store.  The Autumn plaque was made from an old board I had.  I painted it with Coco Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and then stencilled the letters with Old White.  I sanded lightly to give it an older, distressed look.  The candlesticks were made ready for fall by removing the candles and adding pumpkins from the Dollar Tree.  I first used wood putty to fill in a crease that ran all around the pumpkins, then painted them with Old White before brushing on clear wax and lightly distressing and buffing them.

These were the pumpkins before.  I love Chalk Paint!




I spent less than $10 creating this mantel.  Look around your own home and yard and see what you have that can be used to create your own personal mantel.

No comments:

Post a Comment