Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Christmas Treasures!

There's nothing I love more than following an impulse and having it turn out to be a wonderful junking experience!  I was recently on business in the area of one of my favorite thrift shops.  I hadn't planned to stop in on that particular day but some supernatural force seemed to draw me into the parking lot (or it may have had something to do with the sign out front that said everything in the store was 1/2 price!).  I'm revamping my Christmas decorating style this year and had been looking at new vintage style ornaments in retail stores.  Sticker shock!  So, when I walked into the thrift store and saw huge piles of Christmas decorations, I started digging through them hoping to find one or two special ornaments.  I guess I kinda got carried away, but I couldn't believe what I was finding.  The pictures don't tell the whole story, but this is what I found:
 


Just look at these beautiful vintage style ornaments! (Sorry I didn't take them out of their boxes and ziploc bags.  I was so excited to show them to you that I forgot!)  There were four or five bags and five or six boxes - all with beautiful, shiny, vintage styled ornaments.


 These are probably my favorites.  It's not every day that you see black and white Christmas ornaments.  And the trims, pearls and ribbons made them perfect to me.  My only complaint is that I wish there had been more of them!

 
 
I can't wait to put these tree toppers on my trees.  They are both full sized and the one on the left is very heavy.

 
Look at these cute little ornaments!  The first two are knit and embroidered and the finish and distressing on the block ornaments make them look "antique".



This beautiful glass ornament is about five inches across and has a glass angel inside.  There's a small battery compartment on the bottom so I can only assume the angel lights up.  I'll be out searching for the right size batteries soon!



And then there are these two great wooden pieces.  I already have an idea for the large Winter Wonderland plaque.  The wooden angel has an imprint on the back saying it was handcrafted and gives the artist's name.  I have an idea for it, too, in a very special place. 

 
 
The 100 feet of unused garland, the silver rope with bells and the brass horn arrangement will all be used somewhere, I'm sure.  As a matter of fact, I know the perfect spot for the horn after it's revived a little bit.
 
 
 
I felt like I had hit the Christmas lottery with all of the goodies I found.  I have baskets and boxes and other containers that are just waiting to be filled with the ornaments.  Tip:  Learn that digging through true junk sometimes can turn up true treasures.  Keep your eyes and mind open!
 
Oh, and did I tell you that everything in the picture only cost me, tax included, $19?  Yep, nineteen dollars!  I'll show you how I put everything to good use in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment