Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reviving Old Frames

Some of my favorite projects are painting old portrait frames and smaller photo frames.  When I'm treasure hunting at thrift stores and flea markets I'm always keeping my eyes open for frames.  I found this large, sturdy frame at a thrift store and brought it home because of its size and the detail on the wooden frame.  However, the built-in matting left a lot to be desired, as it was dirty and stained.



The main part of the frame already had a two-toned slightly distressed look, so I chose to paint just the matting.  After two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco on the mat, the frame looks almost good as new.


 
 
Some ideas for frame uses other than portraits are chalkboards, dry-erase boards, and bulletin boards.  There's a current trend to hang one or more empty frames and to hang smaller frames, wooden initials, wreaths or other objects inside the larger empty frame.
 
 
 

 
 

Or you can group several empty frames together as a frame gallery: 
 
 Tag-Sale Upgrades
 
 
Another idea is to string wire or string across the frame and use it to display cards and art, photos or notes:
 

 
 
I chose to make a photo/card display with my frame.  It could also be used in an office for pinning up notes, phone numbers, etc.  I used tiny clothespins I found in the craft section at WalMart.  They looked too new, so I dropped a couple of tea bags into a little boiling water, removed from the stove and then put the pins in for about 45 minutes.
 
 
 
 

One day I found this large frame while digging around at an old auction site.  For an instant I felt guilty that I was going to paint over the photo of the happy couple.  But then I decided their circumstances must have changed or it wouldn't be for sale!
 
 
 
 
After removing the portrait board, the frame was painted with two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Versailles.
 
 
The frame was then slightly distressed, waxed with both clear and dark waxes and buffed.   The portrait board was primed with spray Kilz, and when dry, painted with Krylon spray chalkboard paint.  When the chalkboard paint was dry, the portrait board was secured back into the frame and the frame was ready for hanging.



Get out there and find some old frames and let your imagination run wild with the possibilities for them!

 
 
shabby creek cottage

http://betweennapsontheporch.net/metamorphosis-monday/

1 comment: