Monday, November 5, 2012

My Latest Find

I almost squealed out loud when I spotted this beautiful old oak chair at a favorite "hunting ground".  And it was even harder to stay calm when I was told the low selling price! 

 


Isn't the detailing on the back just gorgeous?


The chair is in very good shape and the caning on the seat is in perfect condition.  The wood on the seat and legs is pretty dry and over the years a little green paint accidently got on the chair in several places.


But I had a plan to improve and beautify it as easily as possible - because I like to keep it simple!  After carefully using a little 'Goof Off' to soften the paint enough for me to gently rub it off, I applied a coat of Pledge Revitalizing Oil to all of the wood.  This stuff is amazing and so easy to use!


 After waiting a few minutes, I wiped off the excess and let the chair dry. 



So beautiful!  Whenever I find a vintage or antique piece of furniture, I often find myself wondering about its history and wondering about its past owners.  When I turned this chair over, I was happy to find a handwritten label that had been placed there with the names and address of the previous owners.  I thought the names sounded familiar but my naturally curious instincts had me searching a little further.  I learned the chair's new owners will own a piece of history that once belonged to a prominent family in Panama City.

No comments:

Post a Comment